Preparing Your Fiancé for Your Session
Are you stressing out about your upcoming engagement session? Not sure if your fiancé is going to enjoy it or want to participate? Check out these tips for helping get him to cooperate:
- Make it worth his while. Motivate him in whatever way you think will make him want to participate in your session. If there’s something he’s wanted you to do that you haven’t done, now is the time to play that card. For example, if you don’t like watching football and he’s been asking you to go to a game with him, bribe him with that (or whatever works for your man).
- In the time leading up to the session, explain to him what’s going to happen that day. He’s probably never done anything like this before and doesn’t know what to expect. He’s not on Pinterest all the time looking up cute engagement photos or anything like that, so he may not know anything about this kind of session, or even understand what it’s for. Tell him that the photographer is going to have you guys probably hold hands, cuddle, hug and kiss. You want to explain the session to him prior so it’s not scary for him and he won’t feel awkward as it’s happening. Let him know that it will be OK because you’ll be there the whole time and it will all be good.
- He can have a drink during your session to help loosen you up. (Not to get drunk, but to ease his nerves.)
- Be extra lovey with him before the session. Picture day is super stressful, so it’s easy to get into a fight beforehand. Make a point to be more loving and patient during this stressful time. This will make the photos better because you’re not upset with each other due to something that happened that morning due to stress. You’ll be able to relax and be more affectionate during the session.
- Explain the importance of the photos to him. Let him know, “I know this stressful and you don’t want to do it, but I want tomorrow to be all about us. In 50 years I want to look back on these photos. These are important.” This way he doesn’t think it’s just something that is on his checklist that he has to do before the wedding, but that they are important to you. He loves you; he’ll do it for you.
- Incorporate his ideas in the session. Ask him if he has any ideas for the session. If he has something he wants to do, then he will be more excited about them because he will feel involved and like it’s about him too, not just all about you. Think about what makes you guys unique as a couple and incorporate those ideas into the session, whether it be a location, props, clothing, etc.